Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
In the Flinders Council, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to Tasmania.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Flinders Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Tasmania||Number||%||Tasmania||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||73||17.8||22.6||56||14.1||19.8||+17|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||49||11.9||9.2||41||10.4||8.2||+8|
|Certificate I and II Level||8||1.9||1.8||8||2.0||1.8||--|
|Certificate III & IV Level||97||23.6||24.0||92||23.2||23.1||+5|
|Certificate Level, nfd||8||1.9||2.3||4||1.0||1.4||+4|
|Inadequately described or not stated||24||5.8||2.9||12||3.0||4.1||+12|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the Flinders Council in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 57.2% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 37.0% had no qualifications, compared with 59.9% and 37.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the Flinders Council and Tasmania were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (17.8% compared to 22.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Inadequately described or not stated (5.8% compared to 2.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (11.9% compared to 9.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (23.6% compared to 24.0%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the Flinders Council between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-31 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+17 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+8 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+5 local workers)