Meander Valley Council area
Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
In the Meander Valley Council area, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to Tasmania.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Meander Valley Council area - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Tasmania||Number||%||Tasmania||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||978||17.8||22.6||629||12.3||19.8||+349|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||506||9.2||9.2||404||7.9||8.2||+102|
|Certificate I and II Level||100||1.8||1.8||93||1.8||1.8||+7|
|Certificate III & IV Level||1,329||24.2||24.0||1,225||24.0||23.1||+104|
|Certificate Level, nfd||121||2.2||2.3||80||1.6||1.4||+41|
|Inadequately described or not stated||195||3.5||2.9||212||4.2||4.1||-17|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the Meander Valley Council area in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 55.2% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 41.3% had no qualifications, compared with 59.9% and 37.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the Meander Valley Council area and Tasmania were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (17.8% compared to 22.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (41.3% compared to 37.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Inadequately described or not stated (3.5% compared to 2.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (24.2% compared to 24.0%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the Meander Valley Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+349 local workers)
- No qualification (-194 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+104 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+102 local workers)