Northern Tasmania Region
Local workers - Occupations - All industries
In the Northern Tasmania Region, 18.0% of workers were Professionals, compared to 18.8% in Tasmania.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the Northern Tasmania Region will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the Northern Tasmania Region;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Northern Tasmania Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Tasmania||Number||%||Tasmania||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||7,242||13.1||13.9||8,083||14.3||14.8||-841|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||6,707||12.2||12.4||6,379||11.3||11.2||+328|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||6,877||12.5||13.0||7,435||13.1||13.9||-558|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||3,982||7.2||6.3||4,230||7.5||6.6||-248|
|Inadequately described or not stated||870||1.6||1.7||800||1.4||1.5||+70|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the Northern Tasmania Region in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (9,911 local workers or 18.0%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (7,242 local workers or 13.1%)
- Managers (7,180 local workers or 13.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 24,333 people in total or 44.1% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Tasmania employed 18.8% as Professionals; 13.9% as Technicians and Trades Workers and 12.2% as Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the Northern Tasmania Region and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (10.8% compared to 9.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (7.2% compared to 6.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (18.0% compared to 18.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (13.1% compared to 13.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the Northern Tasmania Region between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-841 local workers)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-558 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+328 local workers)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-248 local workers)