Resident workers - Hours worked
50.5% of the resident workers in the NSROC Region work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the NSROC Region's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the NSROC Region depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||32,557||10.9||10.8||29,993||10.8||10.4||+2,564||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||29,963||10.0||10.4||27,042||9.7||9.7||+2,921||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||26,319||8.8||10.5||23,769||8.6||9.8||+2,550||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||46,626||15.6||19.1||38,743||14.0||18.2||+7,883||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||30,225||10.1||9.1||30,254||10.9||10.0||-29||22007|
|49 hours or more||53,783||18.0||14.9||55,804||20.1||16.4||-2,021||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the NSROC Region's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 32.5% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 66.1% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the NSROC Region and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (18.0% compared to 14.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (22.5% compared to 20.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (15.6% compared to 19.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (8.8% compared to 10.5%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the NSROC Region increased by 15,069 people (8.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the NSROC Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+9,236 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+7,883 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+2,921 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+2,564 people)