In the NSROC Region, the workforce has a higher proportion with University qualifications compared to New South Wales.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|NSROC Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||157,581||49.6||32.6||130,800||44.3||27.9||+26,781|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||37,235||11.7||11.1||36,916||12.5||10.5||+319|
|Certificate I and II Level||2,350||0.7||1.2||2,969||1.0||1.4||-619|
|Certificate III & IV Level||33,037||10.4||18.7||33,064||11.2||18.8||-27|
|Certificate Level, nfd||6,309||2.0||2.3||5,365||1.8||1.9||+944|
|Inadequately described or not stated||8,233||2.6||2.9||11,268||3.8||4.5||-3,035|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the NSROC Region in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 74.4% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 23.0% had no qualifications, compared with 65.9% and 31.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the NSROC Region and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (49.6% compared to 32.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (10.4% compared to 18.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (23.0% compared to 31.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (11.7% compared to 11.1%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the NSROC Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+26,781 local workers)
- No qualification (-2,115 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+944 local workers)
- Certificate I and II Level (-619 local workers)