Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Onkaparinga's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Onkaparinga||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||13,412||16.3||13.2||12,527||16.7||13.4||+885|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||12,138||14.8||13.0||10,264||13.7||12.0||+1,874|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||11,218||13.6||12.5||10,892||14.5||13.3||+326|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||4,623||5.6||6.0||4,397||5.9||6.1||+226|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,392||1.7||1.8||1,070||1.4||1.5||+322|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Onkaparinga in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (14,384 people or 17.5%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (13,412 people or 16.3%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (12,138 people or 14.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 39,934 people in total or 48.6% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, South Australia employed 21.5% in Professionals; 13.2% in Technicians and Trades Workers and 13.0% in Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Onkaparinga and South Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (17.5% compared to 21.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (16.3% compared to 13.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (10.7% compared to 13.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (14.8% compared to 13.0%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Onkaparinga increased by 7,337 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Onkaparinga were those employed as:
- Professionals (+2,413 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,874 persons)
- Managers (+1,365 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+885 persons)