City of Onkaparinga
Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Onkaparinga - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||7,603||20.2||25.9||6,419||16.7||22.1||+1,184|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||3,972||10.5||10.6||3,501||9.1||9.4||+471|
|Certificate I and II Level||701||1.9||1.5||728||1.9||1.6||-27|
|Certificate III & IV Level||9,190||24.4||21.4||8,733||22.8||20.0||+457|
|Certificate Level, nfd||917||2.4||2.2||772||2.0||1.9||+145|
|Inadequately described or not stated||996||2.6||2.7||1,492||3.9||3.9||-496|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Onkaparinga in 2016 compared to South Australia shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 59.3% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 38.0% had no qualifications, compared with 61.5% and 35.8% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Onkaparinga and South Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (20.2% compared to 25.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (24.4% compared to 21.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (38.0% compared to 35.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate I and II Level (1.9% compared to 1.5%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Onkaparinga between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-2,350 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+1,184 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+471 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+457 local workers)