45.5% of the resident workers (All industries) in Parkes Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Parkes Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Parkes Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Parkes Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||635||10.9||10.8||642||10.6||10.4||-7|
|16 hours - 24 hours||515||8.8||10.4||522||8.7||9.7||-7|
|25 hours - 34 hours||659||11.3||10.5||594||9.8||9.8||+65|
|35 hours - 39 hours||988||16.9||19.1||907||15.0||18.2||+81|
|41 hours - 48 hours||690||11.8||9.1||693||11.5||10.0||-3|
|49 hours or more||1,118||19.1||14.9||1,363||22.6||16.4||-245|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Parkes Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 31.0% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 62.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 31.7% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Parkes Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.9% compared to 19.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.5% compared to 20.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (11.8% compared to 9.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (19.1% compared to 14.9%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Parkes Shire decreased by 199 people (-3.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Parkes Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-245 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+81 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+65 persons)
- 40 hours (-32 persons)