Resident workers - Hours worked
60.1% of the male resident workers in Parkes Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 55.8% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Parkes Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Parkes Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Parkes Shire - Males||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||206||6.6||7.3||172||5.3||6.6||+34||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||147||4.7||6.6||137||4.2||5.7||+10||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||182||5.8||6.8||170||5.2||6.2||+12||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||536||17.2||19.0||482||14.7||17.8||+54||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||503||16.1||11.4||509||15.6||12.5||-6||22007|
|49 hours or more||845||27.0||20.8||1,048||32.0||23.1||-203||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Parkes Shire's male resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 20.5% of the male resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 77.2% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 23.1% and 74.7% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the male resident workers of Parkes Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of male resident workers worked 49 hours or more (27.0% compared to 20.8%)
- A larger percentage of male resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (16.1% compared to 11.4%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers worked 40 hours (16.9% compared to 23.6%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (4.7% compared to 6.6%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the male resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Parkes Shire decreased by 167 people (6.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the male resident workers in Parkes Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-203 males)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+54 males)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+34 males)
- Not stated (-21 males)