In Parkes Shire, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to New South Wales.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Parkes Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||935||16.6||32.6||803||13.5||27.9||+132|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||505||9.0||11.1||442||7.4||10.5||+63|
|Certificate I and II Level||117||2.1||1.2||129||2.2||1.4||-12|
|Certificate III & IV Level||1,632||29.0||18.7||1,597||26.9||18.8||+35|
|Certificate Level, nfd||161||2.9||2.3||138||2.3||1.9||+23|
|Inadequately described or not stated||208||3.7||2.9||295||5.0||4.5||-87|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Parkes Shire in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 59.6% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 36.7% had no qualifications, compared with 65.9% and 31.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Parkes Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (16.6% compared to 32.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (29.0% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (36.7% compared to 31.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (9.0% compared to 11.1%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Parkes Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-480 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+132 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+63 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+35 local workers)