Local workers - Occupations - All industries
Within Parkes Shire, the workforce has a similar proportion of Managers and Professionals compared to New South Wales.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Parkes Shire will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Parkes Shire;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. To provide this detail, Parkes Shire in 2011 had to be constructed from a best fit of Work Destination Zones (DZNs). While it may not be an exact match to the LGA or region boundary, it is considered close enough to allow some comparison. Users should treat this time series data with caution, however, and not compare directly with 2011 data from any other source.
|Local workers occupations|
|Parkes Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales %||Number||%||New South Wales %||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||758||13.5||12.7||833||14.0||13.2||-75||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||620||11.0||10.4||578||9.7||9.5||+42||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||648||11.5||13.8||750||12.6||15.0||-102||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||547||9.7||6.1||608||10.2||6.4||-61||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||98||1.7||1.8||80||1.3||1.8||+18||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the workforce in Parkes Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Managers (1,016 local workers or 18.1%)
- Professionals (877 local workers or 15.6%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (758 local workers or 13.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 2,651 people in total or 47.2% of the local workers .
In comparison, New South Wales employed 13.5% as Managers; 23.6% as Professionals; and 12.7% as Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in Parkes Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Managers (18.1% compared to 13.5%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (9.7% compared to 6.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (15.6% compared to 23.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (11.5% compared to 13.8%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the in Parkes Shire workforce between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-102 local workers)
- Managers (-84 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-75 local workers)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-61 local workers)