City of Parramatta
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers professionals in the City of Parramatta than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of City of Parramatta's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Parramatta||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||11,003||10.3||12.7||10,237||11.1||13.2||+766||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||8,823||8.3||10.4||7,230||7.8||9.5||+1,593||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||16,429||15.4||13.8||15,957||17.3||15.1||+472||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||5,064||4.8||6.1||4,494||4.9||6.4||+570||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,100||2.0||1.8||1,818||2.0||1.8||+282||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in City of Parramatta in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (33,772 people or 31.7%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (16,429 people or 15.4%)
- Managers (13,517 people or 12.7%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 63,718 people in total or 59.8% of the resident workers .
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% in Professionals; 13.8% in Clerical and Administrative Workers; and 13.5% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of the City of Parramatta and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (31.7% compared to 23.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (10.3% compared to 12.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Labourers (6.5% compared to 8.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (8.3% compared to 10.4%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in City of Parramatta increased by 14,171 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Parramatta were for those employed as:
- Professionals (+6,540 people)
- Managers (+2,059 people)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,593 people)
- Sales Workers (+1,125 people)