Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Penrith City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Penrith City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Penrith City Council - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2016 - 2021|
|1 hour - 15 hours||9,273||9.1||10.8||8,663||9.1||10.8||+610|
|16 hours - 24 hours||10,010||9.8||10.4||8,106||8.5||10.4||+1,904|
|25 hours - 34 hours||9,456||9.3||10.0||9,023||9.5||10.5||+433|
|35 hours - 39 hours||23,896||23.4||20.4||21,013||22.1||19.1||+2,883|
|41 hours - 48 hours||7,286||7.1||7.4||9,143||9.6||9.1||-1,857|
|49 hours or more||10,015||9.8||11.5||13,814||14.6||14.9||-3,799|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Penrith City's resident workers in 2021 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 39.1% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 59.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 40.3% and 58.0% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Penrith City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked None (11.0% compared to 9.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (9.1% compared to 10.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (23.4% compared to 20.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (9.8% compared to 11.5%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Penrith City decreased by 3997 people (-6.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Penrith City between2016 and 2021 were:
- None (+8,253 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-3,799 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,883 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,904 persons)