Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Perth - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||73,491||52.1||27.4||69,143||47.5||23.2||+4,348|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||15,934||11.3||10.8||17,054||11.7||9.8||-1,120|
|Certificate I and II Level||1,187||0.8||1.4||1,441||1.0||1.4||-254|
|Certificate III & IV Level||14,377||10.2||21.9||14,382||9.9||21.1||-5|
|Certificate Level, nfd||2,311||1.6||2.1||2,355||1.6||1.7||-44|
|Inadequately described or not stated||3,457||2.5||2.8||4,644||3.2||4.0||-1,187|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Perth in 2016 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 76.1% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 21.4% had no qualifications, compared with 63.6% and 33.6% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Perth and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (52.1% compared to 27.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (21.4% compared to 33.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (10.2% compared to 21.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate I and II Level (0.8% compared to 1.4%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Perth between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-6,233 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+4,348 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (-1,120 local workers)
- Certificate I and II Level (-254 local workers)