In the City of Playford, Health Care and Social Assistance is the largest employer, generating 4,556 FTE jobs in 2018/19.
Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in the City of Playford.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of the City of Playford's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|City of Playford||2018/19||2013/14||Change|
|Industry||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2013/14 - 2018/19|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,546||7.4||5.3||1,720||8.2||6.1||-174|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||285||1.4||1.8||245||1.2||1.5||+40|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,066||5.1||5.5||919||4.4||5.0||+148|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||829||3.9||5.3||814||3.9||5.4||+15|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||95||0.4||1.4||98||0.5||1.6||-3|
|Financial and Insurance Services||127||0.6||2.5||137||0.7||2.8||-11|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||219||1.0||1.4||205||1.0||1.5||+15|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||374||1.8||6.8||327||1.6||6.2||+47|
|Administrative and Support Services||884||4.2||3.2||674||3.2||2.9||+210|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,264||6.0||6.8||1,087||5.2||6.9||+176|
|Education and Training||2,122||10.1||7.8||2,013||9.6||7.9||+110|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||4,556||21.7||13.3||3,915||18.7||12.1||+641|
|Arts and Recreation Services||264||1.3||1.4||132||0.6||1.3||+131|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2019. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id the population experts. NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures. Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in the City of Playford in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (4,556 people or 21.7%)
- Retail Trade (2,989 people or 14.2%)
- Education and Training (2,122 people or 10.1%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 9,667 people in total or 46.0% of the local workers.
In comparison, South Australia employed 13.3% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 8.9% in Retail Trade and 7.8% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of the City of Playford and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (21.7% compared to 13.3%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Retail Trade (14.2% compared to 8.9%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (1.8% compared to 6.8%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Education and Training (10.1% compared to 7.8%)
The number of full-time equivalent local workers in the City of Playford increased by increased by 99 between 2013/14 and 2018/19.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2013/14 and 2018/19 in the City of Playford were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+641 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Retail Trade (+327 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Construction (+319 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Administrative and Support Services (+210 full-time equivalent local workers)