City of Playford
Employment by industry (FTE)
In the City of Playford, Health Care and Social Assistance is the largest employer, generating 4,634 FTE jobs in 2017/18.
Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in the City of Playford.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of City of Playford's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
NOTE: FTE employment is derived from Census data but has been corrected for the known undercount of employment in the Census. Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|City of Playford||2017/18||2012/13||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2012/13 to 2017/18|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,554||7.5||5.5||1,417||6.8||5.2||+137||23000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||249||1.2||1.5||219||1.0||1.5||+31||23300||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||844||4.1||4.9||985||4.7||5.3||-140||23700||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||934||4.5||5.6||739||3.5||5.0||+195||23800||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||108||0.5||1.6||85||0.4||1.7||+24||23900||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||124||0.6||2.6||147||0.7||3.0||-23||24000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||270||1.3||1.7||205||1.0||1.5||+65||24100||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||349||1.7||6.2||333||1.6||6.6||+17||24200||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||870||4.2||3.3||694||3.3||2.9||+176||24300||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,301||6.3||7.1||1,058||5.1||6.9||+243||24400||P|
|Education and Training||2,046||9.8||7.5||2,020||9.7||8.0||+25||24500||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||4,634||22.3||13.7||3,787||18.2||11.7||+847||24600||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||151||0.7||1.5||134||0.6||1.5||+17||24700||P|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) (opens a new window) ©2018. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures.Learn more
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in City of Playford in 2017/18 shows the three largest industries were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (4,634 full-time equivalent local workers or 22.3%)
- Retail Trade (2,905 full-time equivalent local workers or 14.0%)
- Education and Training (2,046 full-time equivalent local workers or 9.8%)
In combination these three industries accounted for 9,585 people in total or 46.2% of local workers.
In comparison, South Australia employed 13.7% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.6% in Retail Trade; and 7.5% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of the City of Playford and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (22.3% compared to 13.7%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Retail Trade (14.0% compared to 9.6%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Education and Training (9.8% compared to 7.5%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (1.7% compared to 6.2%)
The number of local workers in the full-time equivalent work in the City of Playford decreased by 83 between 2012/13 and 2017/18.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2012/13 and 2017/18 in the City of Playford were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-1,816 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+847 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Public Administration and Safety (+243 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (+195 full-time equivalent local workers)