City of Playford
Resident workers - Hours worked
34.6% of the resident workers in the City of Playford work 40 or more hours, compared to 45.0% in Manufacturing.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Playford's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Playford depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Playford||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Manufacturing%||Number||%||Manufacturing%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||3,659||11.2||3.6||3,153||10.3||3.0||+506||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||3,146||9.6||4.5||2,658||8.7||3.4||+488||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||4,540||13.9||6.9||3,780||12.4||6.1||+760||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||8,051||24.7||36.9||7,410||24.2||34.7||+641||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||2,970||9.1||13.3||3,060||10.0||13.8||-90||22007|
|49 hours or more||3,407||10.4||9.0||3,399||11.1||9.8||+8||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Playford's resident workers in 2016 compared to Manufacturing shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 38.6% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 59.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 17.5% and 81.9% respectively for Manufacturing.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the City of Playford and Manufacturing were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (11.2% compared to 3.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (13.9% compared to 6.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (24.7% compared to 36.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.1% compared to 22.7%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Playford increased by 473 people (2.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the City of Playford between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+760 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+641 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+506 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+488 people)