Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Playford's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Playford||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||5,734||14.5||13.2||4,945||15.1||13.4||+789|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||5,965||15.1||13.0||4,507||13.8||12.0||+1,458|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||4,834||12.2||12.5||4,039||12.4||13.3||+795|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||4,430||11.2||6.0||3,688||11.3||6.1||+742|
|Inadequately described or not stated||962||2.4||1.8||617||1.9||1.5||+345|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Playford in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Labourers (6,162 people or 15.6%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (5,965 people or 15.1%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (5,734 people or 14.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 17,861 people in total or 45.1% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, South Australia employed 10.5% in Labourers; 13.0% in Community and Personal Service Workers and 13.2% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Playford and South Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (10.5% compared to 21.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (11.2% compared to 6.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (15.6% compared to 10.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (9.0% compared to 13.0%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Playford increased by 6,961 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Playford were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,458 persons)
- Professionals (+953 persons)
- Labourers (+953 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (+795 persons)