City of Playford
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers labourers in the City of Playford than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of City of Playford's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Playford||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,945||15.1||13.4||4,733||15.5||14.1||+212||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||4,507||13.8||12.0||3,502||11.5||10.5||+1,005||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||4,039||12.4||13.3||4,165||13.6||14.4||-126||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||3,688||11.3||6.1||3,648||11.9||6.4||+40||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||617||1.9||1.5||648||2.1||1.6||-31||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in City of Playford in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Labourers (5,209 people or 16.0%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (4,945 people or 15.1%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (4,507 people or 13.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 14,661 people in total or 44.9% of the resident workers .
In comparison, South Australia employed 11.1% in Labourers; 13.4% in Technicians and Trades Workers; and 12.0% in Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of the City of Playford and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (11.3% compared to 6.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Labourers (16.0% compared to 11.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (9.8% compared to 20.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Managers (8.9% compared to 12.6%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in City of Playford increased by 2,062 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Playford were for those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,005 people)
- Professionals (+364 people)
- Sales Workers (+345 people)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+212 people)