City of Playford
Local workers - Occupations - All industries
Within the City of Playford, the workforce has a similar proportion of Managers and Professionals compared to the Manufacturing workforce.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in City of Playford will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in City of Playford;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. To provide this detail, City of Playford in 2011 had to be constructed from a best fit of Work Destination Zones (DZNs). While it may not be an exact match to the LGA or region boundary, it is considered close enough to allow some comparison. Users should treat this time series data with caution, however, and not compare directly with 2011 data from any other source.
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Playford - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Manufacturing %||Number||%||Manufacturing %||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||2,362||9.7||18.0||2,712||11.5||19.3||-350||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||3,434||14.2||0.7||2,692||11.4||0.6||+742||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||2,220||9.2||7.1||2,181||9.3||5.7||+39||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,615||6.7||15.4||1,719||7.3||16.2||-104||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||426||1.8||1.2||397||1.7||2.1||+29||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the workforce in City of Playford in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (4,964 local workers or 20.5%)
- Labourers (3,667 local workers or 15.1%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (3,434 local workers or 14.2%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 12,065 people in total or 49.8% of the local workers .
In comparison, the Manufacturing workforce within City of Playford employed 6.1% as Professionals; 35.3% as Labourers; and 0.7% as Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Playford and the Manufacturing workforce were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (20.5% compared to 6.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (14.2% compared to 0.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (11.7% compared to 2.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (15.1% compared to 35.3%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the in the City of Playford workforce between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+742 local workers)
- Professionals (+692 local workers)
- Labourers (-528 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-350 local workers)