Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in City of Port Adelaide Enfield.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of City of Port Adelaide Enfield's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|City of Port Adelaide Enfield||2019/20||2014/15||Change|
|Industry||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2014/15 - 2019/20|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||182||0.3||4.7||258||0.4||6.5||-76|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||2,093||3.0||1.7||1,606||2.4||1.5||+486|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,191||3.2||4.9||1,972||3.0||5.2||+219|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||8,050||11.7||5.1||8,290||12.6||5.4||-240|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||332||0.5||1.6||241||0.4||1.5||+91|
|Financial and Insurance Services||320||0.5||2.5||377||0.6||2.7||-57|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||734||1.1||1.4||694||1.1||1.4||+40|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,196||3.2||7.1||2,103||3.2||6.7||+93|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,790||2.6||3.3||1,441||2.2||2.9||+349|
|Public Administration and Safety||3,661||5.3||6.9||3,681||5.6||6.9||-20|
|Education and Training||3,049||4.4||8.2||3,116||4.7||8.0||-68|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||5,273||7.6||13.4||4,769||7.2||12.5||+504|
|Arts and Recreation Services||614||0.9||1.3||601||0.9||1.4||+13|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2021. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id informed decisions. NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures. Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in City of Port Adelaide Enfield in 2019/20 shows the three largest industries were:
- Manufacturing (14,450 people or 20.9%)
- Construction (8,889 people or 12.9%)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (8,050 people or 11.7%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 31,389 people in total or 45.5% of the local workers.
In comparison, South Australia employed 10.1% in Manufacturing; 9.6% in Construction and 5.1% in Transport, Postal and Warehousing.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of City of Port Adelaide Enfield and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Manufacturing (20.9% compared to 10.1%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (11.7% compared to 5.1%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (7.6% compared to 13.4%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.3% compared to 4.7%)
The number of full-time equivalent local workers in City of Port Adelaide Enfield increased by increased by 3,223 between 2014/15 and 2019/20.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2014/15 and 2019/20 in City of Port Adelaide Enfield were for those employed in:
- Wholesale Trade (+836 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Construction (+774 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+504 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services (+486 full-time equivalent local workers)