City of Port Adelaide Enfield
Resident workers - Industry
Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of City of Port Adelaide Enfield’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which City of Port Adelaide Enfield residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in City of Port Adelaide Enfield, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in City of Port Adelaide Enfield are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Port Adelaide Enfield||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||483||0.9||4.0||337||0.7||3.9||+146||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||681||1.3||1.2||670||1.4||1.3||+11||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||3,902||7.5||6.7||3,318||6.7||6.3||+584||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||2,729||5.2||4.1||2,649||5.4||4.2||+80||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||753||1.4||1.3||828||1.7||1.4||-75||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||1,447||2.8||2.7||1,434||2.9||3.0||+13||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||637||1.2||1.3||519||1.1||1.3||+118||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,855||5.5||5.6||2,606||5.3||5.5||+249||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,133||4.1||3.6||1,973||4.0||3.4||+160||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||4,161||8.0||7.1||3,946||8.0||7.1||+215||39000||P|
|Education and Training||3,908||7.5||8.6||3,374||6.9||7.9||+534||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||8,083||15.5||14.8||6,873||14.0||13.6||+1,210||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||710||1.4||1.4||660||1.3||1.3||+50||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||1,921||3.7||3.3||1,134||2.3||1.9||+787||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window)(informed decisions).
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in City of Port Adelaide Enfield in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (8,083 people or 15.5%)
- Retail Trade (5,384 people or 10.3%)
- Manufacturing (4,805 people or 9.2%)
In combination these three industries employed 18,272 people in total or 35.0% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, South Australia employed 14.8% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 10.7% in Retail Trade; and 8.0% in Manufacturing.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of City of Port Adelaide Enfield and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (9.2% compared to 8.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (5.2% compared to 4.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.9% compared to 4.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Education and Training (7.5% compared to 8.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in City of Port Adelaide Enfield were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-1,572 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,210 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+787 resident workforce)
- Accommodation and Food Services (+584 resident workforce)