In the Town of Port Hedland, Mining is the largest employer, generating 5,462 FTE jobs in 2018/19.
Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in the Town of Port Hedland.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of the Town of Port Hedland's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|Town of Port Hedland||2018/19||2013/14||Change|
|Industry||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2013/14 - 2018/19|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||33||0.3||3.2||29||0.3||2.8||+3|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||292||2.5||1.7||112||1.0||1.7||+180|
|Accommodation and Food Services||446||3.8||5.4||469||4.0||4.7||-23|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,169||10.0||5.4||1,172||10.1||5.8||-3|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||16||0.1||1.0||24||0.2||1.1||-8|
|Financial and Insurance Services||27||0.2||2.0||43||0.4||2.7||-16|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||155||1.3||1.7||228||2.0||2.2||-73|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||248||2.1||7.8||284||2.4||8.3||-36|
|Administrative and Support Services||276||2.4||2.8||306||2.6||2.9||-31|
|Public Administration and Safety||363||3.1||6.8||331||2.8||5.8||+33|
|Education and Training||336||2.9||7.7||322||2.8||6.8||+14|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||589||5.0||10.3||494||4.2||8.9||+95|
|Arts and Recreation Services||47||0.4||1.5||36||0.3||1.4||+11|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2019. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id the population experts. NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures. Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in the Town of Port Hedland in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Mining (5,462 people or 46.7%)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (1,169 people or 10.0%)
- Construction (1,010 people or 8.6%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 7,641 people in total or 65.3% of the local workers.
In comparison, Western Australia employed 10.5% in Mining; 5.4% in Transport, Postal and Warehousing and 10.3% in Construction.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of the Town of Port Hedland and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Mining (46.7% compared to 10.5%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (2.1% compared to 7.8%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (5.0% compared to 10.3%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Education and Training (2.9% compared to 7.7%)
The number of full-time equivalent local workers in the Town of Port Hedland increased by increased by 78 between 2013/14 and 2018/19.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2013/14 and 2018/19 in the Town of Port Hedland were for those employed in:
- Mining (+1,946 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services (+180 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+95 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Public Administration and Safety (+33 full-time equivalent local workers)