There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in the Town of Port Hedland than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the Town of Port Hedland's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the Town of Port Hedland or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the Town of Port Hedland, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Town of Port Hedland - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||69||1.0||2.5||77||1.0||2.3||-8|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||1,814||25.7||14.1||1,845||24.4||13.8||-31|
|Architecture and Building||303||4.3||4.3||340||4.5||4.1||-37|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||78||1.1||1.6||96||1.3||1.5||-18|
|Management and Commerce||715||10.1||13.0||747||9.9||11.4||-32|
|Society and Culture||368||5.2||7.3||287||3.8||6.2||+81|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||211||3.0||3.7||250||3.3||3.4||-39|
|Mixed Field Programmes||9||0.1||0.1||3||0.0||0.1||+6|
|Not stated or inadequately described||276||3.9||2.5||297||3.9||3.2||-21|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the Town of Port Hedland shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (1,814 people or 25.7%)
- Management and Commerce (715 people or 10.1%)
- Health (423 people or 6.0%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 2,952 people in total or 41.9% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Western Australia employed 14.1% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 13.0% in Management and Commerce and 7.5% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of the Town of Port Hedland and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (25.7% compared to 14.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (10.1% compared to 13.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Society and Culture (5.2% compared to 7.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Natural and Physical Sciences (1.0% compared to 2.5%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the Town of Port Hedland decreased by 514 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in the Town of Port Hedland was for those qualified in:
- Society and Culture (+81 resident workers)
- Education (+60 resident workers)
- Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (-39 resident workers)
- Architecture and Building (-37 resident workers)