Town of Port Hedland
Resident workers - Hours worked
61.9% of the resident workers in the Town of Port Hedland work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.6% in Western Australia.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the Town of Port Hedland's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the Town of Port Hedland depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Town of Port Hedland||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Western Australia%||Number||%||Western Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||431||6.1||11.9||306||4.1||10.8||+125||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||348||4.9||9.9||303||4.0||9.2||+45||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||478||6.8||10.7||393||5.2||9.5||+85||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||860||12.2||17.2||794||10.5||15.8||+66||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||834||11.8||9.5||898||11.9||10.9||-64||22007|
|49 hours or more||2,636||37.4||17.3||3,223||42.7||19.6||-587||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the Town of Port Hedland's resident workers in 2016 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 23.6% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 74.1% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 36.5% and 61.8% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the Town of Port Hedland and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (37.4% compared to 17.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (6.1% compared to 11.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (12.7% compared to 17.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (4.9% compared to 9.9%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Town of Port Hedland decreased by 735 people (12.3%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the Town of Port Hedland between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-587 people)
- 40 hours (-150 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+125 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+85 people)