Town of Port Hedland
Resident workers - Industry
Mining employs more of the Town of Port Hedland’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Town of Port Hedland residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Town of Port Hedland, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Town of Port Hedland are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Town of Port Hedland||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia%||Number||%||Western Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||28||0.4||2.5||17||0.2||2.4||+11||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||78||1.1||1.2||77||1.0||1.1||+1||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||340||4.8||6.4||334||4.4||5.9||+6||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||718||10.2||4.6||548||7.3||4.5||+170||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||24||0.3||1.0||17||0.2||1.1||+7||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||49||0.7||2.4||46||0.6||2.5||+3||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||162||2.3||1.7||195||2.6||1.7||-33||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||214||3.0||6.4||198||2.6||7.2||+16||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||238||3.4||3.3||269||3.6||3.1||-31||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||358||5.1||6.2||328||4.3||6.2||+30||39000||P|
|Education and Training||443||6.3||8.7||444||5.9||8.0||-1||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||639||9.1||11.7||559||7.4||10.4||+80||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||68||1.0||1.6||32||0.4||1.3||+36||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||289||4.1||4.6||188||2.5||2.2||+101||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Town of Port Hedland in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Mining (1,761 people or 25.0%)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (718 people or 10.2%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (639 people or 9.1%)
In combination these three industries employed 3,118 people in total or 44.2% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Western Australia employed 6.3% in Mining; 4.6% in Transport, Postal and Warehousing; and 11.7% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the Town of Port Hedland and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Mining (25.0% compared to 6.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (10.2% compared to 4.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (3.0% compared to 6.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (6.6% compared to 9.8%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Town of Port Hedland were for those employed in:
- Construction (-705 resident workforce)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (+170 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-153 resident workforce)
- Mining (-122 resident workforce)