Town of Port Hedland
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers technicians and trades workers in the Town of Port Hedland than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Town of Port Hedland's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Town of Port Hedland||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia%||Number||%||Western Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||1,782||25.3||16.2||1,886||25.0||16.7||-104||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||565||8.0||10.6||467||6.2||9.4||+98||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||798||11.3||13.0||1,013||13.4||14.4||-215||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||979||13.9||7.5||1,064||14.1||7.6||-85||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||168||2.4||1.7||148||2.0||1.5||+20||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Town of Port Hedland in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (1,782 people or 25.3%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (979 people or 13.9%)
- Professionals (914 people or 13.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 3,675 people in total or 52.1% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Western Australia employed 16.2% in Technicians and Trades Workers; 7.5% in Machinery Operators And Drivers; and 20.5% in Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of the Town of Port Hedland and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (25.3% compared to 16.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (13.9% compared to 7.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (13.0% compared to 20.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Managers (9.2% compared to 12.0%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in Town of Port Hedland decreased by 505 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Town of Port Hedland were for those employed as:
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-215 people)
- Professionals (-125 people)
- Labourers (-111 people)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-104 people)