Town of Port Hedland
Local workers - Occupations - All industries
Within the Town of Port Hedland, the workforce has a similar proportion of Managers and Professionals compared to Western Australia.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Town of Port Hedland will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Town of Port Hedland;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. To provide this detail, Town of Port Hedland in 2011 had to be constructed from a best fit of Work Destination Zones (DZNs). While it may not be an exact match to the LGA or region boundary, it is considered close enough to allow some comparison. Users should treat this time series data with caution, however, and not compare directly with 2011 data from any other source.
|Local workers occupations|
|Town of Port Hedland - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia %||Number||%||Western Australia %||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||2,551||26.9||16.4||2,538||26.4||16.8||+13||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||665||7.0||10.5||539||5.6||9.4||+126||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||882||9.3||12.9||1,120||11.7||14.3||-238||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,657||17.5||7.6||1,463||15.2||7.7||+194||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||201||2.1||1.7||186||1.9||1.5||+15||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the workforce in Town of Port Hedland in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (2,551 local workers or 26.9%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (1,657 local workers or 17.5%)
- Professionals (1,276 local workers or 13.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 5,484 people in total or 57.9% of the local workers .
In comparison, Western Australia employed 16.4% as Technicians and Trades Workers; 7.6% as Machinery Operators And Drivers; and 20.4% as Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the Town of Port Hedland and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (26.9% compared to 16.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (17.5% compared to 7.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (13.5% compared to 20.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (4.8% compared to 8.8%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the in the Town of Port Hedland workforce between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-238 local workers)
- Labourers (-238 local workers)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+194 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+126 local workers)