In City of Port Phillip, Professional, Scientific and Technical Services had the largest total exports by industry, generating $2,661 million in 2018/19.
Exports by industry are sales of goods and services to non-resident households, businesses and other organisations, outside City of Port Phillip boundaries. Exports (domestic) include all exports from the area to other parts of Australia. Exports (international) includes all exports from the Region to countries outside Australia.
To get the full picture how each industry sector contributes to the regional or state economy, export data should be viewed alongside the other industry characteristics in the Industry sector analysis section.
Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Total exports by industry sector|
|City of Port Phillip||2018/19||2013/14||Change|
|Industry||$m||%||Victoria||$m||%||Victoria||2013/14 - 2018/19|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||18.4||0.2||3.3||31.3||0.3||4.3||-12.9|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||12.1||0.1||4.3||11.8||0.1||3.7||+0.4|
|Accommodation and Food Services||516.0||4.9||2.9||346.7||3.5||2.3||+169.3|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||634.0||6.0||7.5||660.7||6.6||8.1||-26.7|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||679.9||6.5||5.4||567.5||5.7||4.1||+112.4|
|Financial and Insurance Services||1,798.6||17.1||13.8||1,490.6||14.9||11.2||+307.9|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||167.2||1.6||0.7||173.9||1.7||0.8||-6.7|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,661.0||25.3||7.4||2,564.4||25.6||7.4||+96.6|
|Administrative and Support Services||777.1||7.4||2.5||693.0||6.9||2.2||+84.1|
|Public Administration and Safety||75.7||0.7||4.4||240.5||2.4||4.8||-164.9|
|Education and Training||227.9||2.2||4.9||152.8||1.5||4.0||+75.2|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||441.9||4.2||6.2||359.0||3.6||4.3||+82.8|
|Arts and Recreation Services||608.4||5.8||2.7||627.1||6.3||2.6||-18.6|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2019. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id the population experts. Data are based on a 2016-17 price base for all years. NIEIR-ID data are inflation adjusted each year to allow direct comparison, and annual data releases adjust previous years’ figures to a new base year.Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the total exports by industry sectors in City of Port Phillip in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (2,661 million or 25.3%)
- Financial and Insurance Services (1,799 million or 17.1%)
- Administrative and Support Services (777 million or 7.4%)
In combination these three industries accounted for 5,237 million in total or 49.8% of the total exports by industry in the City of Port Phillip.
In comparison, the same 3 industries in Victoria accounted for 7.4% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services; 13.8% in Financial and Insurance Services and 2.5% in Administrative and Support Services.
The major differences between the total exports by industries of City of Port Phillip and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of total exports by Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (25.3% compared to 7.4%)
- A smaller percentage of total exports by Manufacturing (6.6% compared to 21.0%)
- A larger percentage of total exports by Administrative and Support Services (7.4% compared to 2.5%)
- A smaller percentage of total exports by Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services (0.1% compared to 4.3%)
The total total exports by industry in City of Port Phillip $increased by 513 million between 2013/14 and 2018/19.
The largest changes in the total exports by industries between 2013/14 and 2018/19 in City of Port Phillip were for:
- Financial and Insurance Services (+$308 million)
- Accommodation and Food Services (+$169 million)
- Information Media and Telecommunications (+$112 million)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+$97 million)