Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Port Phillip's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Port Phillip depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Port Phillip - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||4,532||7.9||12.0||3,959||7.2||11.4||+573|
|16 hours - 24 hours||4,619||8.0||10.5||3,891||7.1||9.7||+728|
|25 hours - 34 hours||5,318||9.2||11.2||4,721||8.6||10.1||+597|
|35 hours - 39 hours||9,228||16.0||18.7||8,040||14.6||17.6||+1,188|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,927||12.0||9.2||7,557||13.8||10.2||-630|
|49 hours or more||11,654||20.2||13.7||11,824||21.5||15.2||-170|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by City of Port Phillip's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 28.0% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 70.7% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of City of Port Phillip and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (7.9% compared to 12.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (22.6% compared to 19.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (12.0% compared to 9.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (20.2% compared to 13.7%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in City of Port Phillip increased by 1167 people (2.9%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in City of Port Phillip between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,188 persons)
- 40 hours (+779 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+728 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-630 persons)