Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Port Phillip residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Port Phillip, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Port Phillip are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Port Phillip - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||172||0.3||2.1||199||0.3||2.2||-27|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||613||1.0||1.1||557||1.0||1.1||+56|
|Accommodation and Food Services||4,024||6.6||6.2||4,040||7.0||6.6||-16|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,809||3.0||4.7||1,833||3.2||4.8||-24|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,835||3.0||1.6||2,244||3.9||1.9||-409|
|Financial and Insurance Services||4,127||6.8||4.1||4,039||7.0||3.9||+88|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,424||2.3||1.5||1,470||2.5||1.6||-46|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||9,911||16.2||8.4||9,389||16.3||7.9||+522|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,270||3.7||3.1||2,268||3.9||3.4||+2|
|Public Administration and Safety||3,432||5.6||5.6||2,805||4.9||5.3||+627|
|Education and Training||5,234||8.6||8.8||4,889||8.5||8.6||+345|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||7,224||11.8||14.1||5,923||10.3||12.5||+1,301|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,861||3.1||1.7||1,993||3.5||1.9||-132|
|Industry not classified||2,604||4.3||4.6||2,347||4.1||4.7||+257|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the City of Port Phillip in 2021shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (9,911 people or 16.2%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (7,224 people or 11.8%)
- Education and Training (5,234 people or 8.6%)
In combination these three industries employed 22,369 people in total or 36.7% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Victoria employed 8.4% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services; 14.1% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 8.8% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Port Phillip and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (16.2% compared to 8.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (3.9% compared to 7.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (6.6% compared to 9.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (6.8% compared to 4.1%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Port Phillip were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,301 resident workforce)
- Construction (+869 resident workforce)
- Public Administration and Safety (+627 resident workforce)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+522 resident workforce)