Local sales by industry measures the output of local industries that is sold locally. This includes sales to local consumers, businesses and other organisations.
To get the full picture how each industry sector contributes to the regional or state economy, local sales data should be viewed alongside the other industry characteristics in the Industry sector analysis section.
Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Local sales by industry sector|
|City of Port Phillip - Constant prices||2020/21||2015/16||Change|
|Industry||$m||%||Victoria||$m||%||Victoria||2015/16 - 2020/21|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||105.5||0.6||2.1||116.3||0.7||2.0||-10.8|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||166.6||0.9||3.0||218.6||1.2||3.4||-52.0|
|Accommodation and Food Services||409.1||2.2||2.2||387.9||2.2||2.5||+21.2|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||851.5||4.5||4.3||791.9||4.4||4.7||+59.5|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||965.3||5.1||3.0||690.1||3.9||2.4||+275.2|
|Financial and Insurance Services||2,141.6||11.4||6.9||1,905.2||10.7||6.4||+236.4|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||3,877.0||20.6||11.7||4,374.9||24.5||13.2||-497.9|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,474.2||13.1||8.8||2,079.1||11.6||8.0||+395.1|
|Administrative and Support Services||834.8||4.4||3.7||846.5||4.7||3.9||-11.7|
|Public Administration and Safety||565.9||3.0||4.1||469.5||2.6||3.7||+96.3|
|Education and Training||441.1||2.3||4.0||372.7||2.1||3.9||+68.4|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||565.6||3.0||6.6||475.2||2.7||6.0||+90.4|
|Arts and Recreation Services||221.2||1.2||1.2||222.3||1.2||1.2||-1.1|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2021. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (informed decisions) NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. .id (informed decisions). Data are based on a 2017-18 price base for all years. NIEIR-ID data are inflation adjusted each year to allow direct comparison, and annual data releases adjust previous years’ figures to a new base year.Learn more
An analysis of the local sales by industry sectors in City of Port Phillip in 2020/21 shows the three largest industries were:
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services ($3,877million or 20.6%)
- Construction ($2,615million or 13.9%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services ($2,474million or 13.1%)
In combination these three industries accounted for $8,966 million in total or 47.6% of the total local sales by total industry in the City of Port Phillip.
In comparison, the same 3 industries in Victoria accounted for 11.7% in Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services; 21.0% in Construction and 8.8% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services.
The major differences between local sales by industries of City of Port Phillip and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local sales by Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (20.6% compared to 11.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local sales by Construction (13.9% compared to 21.0%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Financial and Insurance Services (11.4% compared to 6.9%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (13.1% compared to 8.8%)
The total local sales by industry in City of Port Phillip $increased by 967 million between 2015/16 and 2020/21.
The largest changes in the local sales by industries between 2015/16 and 2020/21 in City of Port Phillip were for:
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (-$498 million)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+$395 million)
- Construction (+$345 million)
- Information Media and Telecommunications (+$275 million)