Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Port Phillip's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Port Phillip||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,640||7.6||12.6||4,435||7.7||13.1||+205|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||5,192||8.5||11.0||4,877||8.5||10.6||+315|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||6,896||11.3||12.4||7,087||12.3||13.3||-191|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,116||1.8||5.9||796||1.4||5.8||+320|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,093||1.8||2.0||946||1.6||1.7||+147|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Port Phillip in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (23,230 people or 38.1%)
- Managers (12,457 people or 20.4%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (6,896 people or 11.3%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 42,583 people in total or 69.8% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Victoria employed 25.0% in Professionals; 14.0% in Managers and 12.4% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Port Phillip and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (38.1% compared to 25.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (20.4% compared to 14.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (3.7% compared to 8.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (7.6% compared to 12.6%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Port Phillip increased by 3,316 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Port Phillip were those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,397 persons)
- Managers (+1,232 persons)
- Sales Workers (-429 persons)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+320 persons)