City of Port Phillip
Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Port Phillip - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||42,164||53.7||39.0||36,559||48.1||33.3||+5,605|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||9,643||12.3||11.5||9,755||12.8||11.5||-112|
|Certificate I and II Level||536||0.7||1.0||512||0.7||1.0||+24|
|Certificate III & IV Level||8,280||10.5||17.1||8,519||11.2||18.1||-239|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,058||1.3||1.5||1,164||1.5||1.8||-106|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,559||2.0||2.2||1,832||2.4||2.8||-273|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Port Phillip in 2021 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 78.6% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 19.5% had no qualifications, compared with 70.1% and 27.8% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Port Phillip and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (53.7% compared to 39.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (19.5% compared to 27.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (10.5% compared to 17.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (12.3% compared to 11.5%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Port Phillip between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+5,605 local workers)
- No qualification (-2,315 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (-239 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (-112 local workers)