City of Port Phillip
Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
In City of Port Phillip, the workforce has a higher proportion with University qualifications compared to Victoria.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Port Phillip - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||36,559||48.1||33.3||29,757||42.5||28.6||+6,802|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||9,755||12.8||11.5||8,979||12.8||10.4||+776|
|Certificate I and II Level||512||0.7||1.0||601||0.9||1.1||-89|
|Certificate III & IV Level||8,519||11.2||18.1||8,197||11.7||17.9||+322|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,164||1.5||1.8||1,052||1.5||1.5||+112|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,832||2.4||2.8||2,318||3.3||4.0||-486|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in City of Port Phillip in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 74.4% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 23.2% had no qualifications, compared with 65.7% and 31.6% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of City of Port Phillip and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (48.1% compared to 33.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (23.2% compared to 31.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (11.2% compared to 18.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (12.8% compared to 11.5%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in City of Port Phillip between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+6,802 local workers)
- No qualification (-1,570 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+776 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+322 local workers)