City of Port Phillip
Local workers - Occupations - All industries
In City of Port Phillip, 31.1% of workers were Professionals, compared to 23.2% in Victoria.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in City of Port Phillip will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in City of Port Phillip;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Port Phillip - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||7,174||9.4||13.1||7,023||10.0||13.8||+151|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||6,245||8.2||10.6||5,493||7.8||9.3||+752|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||11,709||15.4||13.3||12,681||18.1||14.4||-972|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,637||2.2||5.8||1,482||2.1||6.1||+155|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,272||1.7||1.7||1,592||2.3||2.2||-320|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in City of Port Phillip in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (23,615 local workers or 31.1%)
- Managers (14,684 local workers or 19.3%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (11,709 local workers or 15.4%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 50,008 people in total or 65.8% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 23.2% as Professionals; 13.5% as Managers and 13.3% as Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in City of Port Phillip and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (31.1% compared to 23.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Managers (19.3% compared to 13.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (4.4% compared to 9.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (2.2% compared to 5.8%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in City of Port Phillip between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+2,445 local workers)
- Managers (+2,196 local workers)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-972 local workers)
- Sales Workers (+878 local workers)