Borough of Queenscliffe
About the area
ABS ERP 2019
Accommodation and Food Services
The Borough of Queenscliffe is named after Queen Victoria.
Location and boundaries
The Borough of Queenscliffe is located in south-western Victoria, approximately 105 kilometres from the Melbourne CBD and 35 kilometres east of the Geelong CBD. The Borough of Queenscliffe is bounded by Swan Bay in the north, Port Phillip Bay in the east, Bass Strait in the south, and the City of Greater Geelong in the west.
The Borough of Queenscliffe includes the localities of Point Lonsdale (part), Queenscliff and Swan Island.
The Borough of Queenscliffe is predominantly a residential and resort area, with townships at Point Lonsdale and Queenscliff. The Borough encompasses a total land area of 9 square kilometres.
The Borough of Queenscliffe is served by the Bellarine Highway and the Queenscliff-Sorrento Ferry.
European settlement dates from the late 1830s. Growth took place in the 1840s, with the township of Queenscliff established in 1853. Early land use was mainly governmental, with lighthouse and signal services, a sea pilot's service and military and defence establishments. The area was a strategic defence post, aimed to protect Melbourne and Port Phillip Bay during the mid to late 1800s. Fishing and boat industries were also established. Growth took place in the 1880s and 1890s, aided by the construction of the railway from Melbourne and the popularity of the area as a tourist resort. Growth continued in the early 1900s, especially in Point Lonsdale. Significant development occurred from the post-war years, particularly during the 1960s. Gradual growth took place during the 1970s and 1980s. The population generally declined slightly from the 1990s.
The original inhabitants of the Borough of Queenscliffe were the Wathaurong Aboriginal people.