Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Randwick City - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||27,082||53.7||38.4||21,953||47.7||32.6||+5,129|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||5,394||10.7||11.0||4,978||10.8||11.1||+416|
|Certificate I and II Level||353||0.7||1.2||305||0.7||1.2||+48|
|Certificate III & IV Level||5,696||11.3||18.1||5,573||12.1||18.7||+123|
|Certificate Level, nfd||796||1.6||1.9||867||1.9||2.3||-71|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,121||2.2||2.3||1,269||2.8||2.9||-148|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Randwick City in 2021 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 78.0% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 19.7% had no qualifications, compared with 70.7% and 27.0% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Randwick City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (53.7% compared to 38.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (19.7% compared to 27.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (11.3% compared to 18.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate I and II Level (0.7% compared to 1.2%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Randwick City between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+5,129 local workers)
- No qualification (-1,093 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+416 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+123 local workers)