RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce in the RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||1,327||2.4||2.1||1,210||2.2||1.9||+117||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||5,821||10.6||10.9||5,690||10.5||10.9||+131||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||2,311||4.2||3.6||2,127||3.9||3.3||+184||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||1,821||3.3||1.9||1,648||3.1||1.7||+173||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||6,280||11.5||12.9||5,491||10.2||11.4||+789||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||4,939||9.0||8.9||4,233||7.8||7.4||+706||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||2,034||3.7||3.6||1,844||3.4||3.4||+190||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||45||0.1||0.1||23||0.0||0.1||+22||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||1,522||2.8||2.5||1,514||2.8||3.3||+8||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (6,280 people or 11.5%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (5,821 people or 10.6%)
- Health (5,129 people or 9.4%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 17,230 people in total or 31.4% of the resident workers .
In comparison, South Australia employed 12.9% in Management and Commerce; 10.9% in Engineering and Related Technologies; and 8.6% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of the RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (3.3% compared to 1.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce (11.5% compared to 12.9%)
The number of resident workers in the RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island increased by 756 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island were for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+789 people)
- Society and Culture (+706 people)
- Health (+479 people)
- Education (+294 people)