RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island
Local workers - Occupations - All industries
Within the RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island, the workforce has a similar proportion of Managers and Professionals compared to South Australia.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. To provide this detail, RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island in 2011 had to be constructed from a best fit of Work Destination Zones (DZNs). While it may not be an exact match to the LGA or region boundary, it is considered close enough to allow some comparison. Users should treat this time series data with caution, however, and not compare directly with 2011 data from any other source.
|Local workers occupations|
|RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia %||Number||%||South Australia %||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,610||13.3||13.4||4,557||13.5||14.1||+53||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||4,727||13.6||12.0||4,119||12.2||10.5||+608||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||3,756||10.8||13.4||3,845||11.4||14.4||-89||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,744||5.0||6.1||1,691||5.0||6.4||+53||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||444||1.3||1.5||480||1.4||1.6||-36||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the workforce in RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (5,615 local workers or 16.2%)
- Managers (5,474 local workers or 15.8%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (4,727 local workers or 13.6%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 15,816 people in total or 45.5% of the local workers .
In comparison, South Australia employed 20.2% as Professionals; 12.6% as Managers; and 12.0% as Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Managers (15.8% compared to 12.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (13.0% compared to 11.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (16.2% compared to 20.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (10.8% compared to 13.4%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the in the RDA Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island workforce between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+608 local workers)
- Professionals (+416 local workers)
- Sales Workers (+181 local workers)
- Managers (-108 local workers)