RDA BGLAP Region
About the area
ABS ERP 2018
Light Regional Council is named after the River Light, which was named after Colonel William Light, the first Surveyor-General of South Australia.
Location and boundaries
The Light Regional Council area is located just north of metropolitan Adelaide, about 80 kilometres north-west of the Adelaide CBD. The Light Regional Council area is bounded by the Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council area and the Regional Council of Goyder area in the north, the Mid Murray Council area in the east, the Barossa Council area, the Town of Gawler and the City of Playford in the south, and the Adelaide Plains Council area and the Wakefield Regional Council area in the west.
The Light Regional Council area includes the localities of Allendale North, Bagot Well, Bethel, Buchfelde, Daveyston, Ebenezer, Fords, Freeling, Gawler Belt, Gawler River, Gomersal, Greenock, Hamilton, Hamley Bridge (part), Hansborough (part), Hewett, Kangaroo Flat, Kapunda, Kingsford, Koonunga, Linwood, Lyndoch (part), Magdala, Marananga, Moppa, Morn Hill, Nain, Nuriootpa (part), Pinkerton Plains, Reeves Plains (part), Rosedale (part), Roseworthy, Rowland Flat (part), Seppeltsfield, Shea-Oak Log, St Johns, St Kitts, Stockwell (part), Stone Well, Tanunda (part), Templers, Truro (part), Ward Belt, Wasleys and Woolsheds.
The Light Regional Council area is largely rural, with residential areas in the small townships of Kapunda, Freeling, Greenock, Roseworthy and Wasleys, as well as the southern suburb of Hewett. Rural land is used largely for farming, particularly grain growing (wheat, barley and oats) and sheep grazing. Viticulture is also an important industry. The Council area encompasses a total land area of nearly 1,300 square kilometres.
The Light Regional Council area is served by the Sturt Highway, the Thiele Highway and Main North Road.
European settlement of the area dates from the late 1830s, with land used mainly for sheep and cattle grazing. The township of Kapunda was laid out in 1845, with the township of Greenock established during the 1850s, and the townships of Freeling, Roseworthy and Wasleys during the 1860s. Growth took place during the late 1800s, spurred by the opening of the railway line in 1860, and copper mining in Kapunda from 1842 until the early 1900s. Land then became used more for wheat and crop growing, with viticulture also being an important industry. The southern suburb of Hewett was not developed until the early 2000s, as a northerly expansion of Gawler. The population of the Council area increased steadily from the early 1990s, rising from about 8,000 in 1991 to about 15,000 in 2016.
The original inhabitants of the Light Regional Council area were the Kaurna Aboriginal people.