Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing is the largest employer in the Balonne Shire, making up 34.4% of total employment.
Census employment data presents the number of persons employed in each industry sector (full-time and part-time) in the Balonne Shire regardless of where they live. By comparing the number of jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see local economic strengths and weaknesses. By looking at how the number of jobs in each industry is changing over time, you can track how the structure of the local economy is changing. Go to the Employment locations page to see where employment is taking place across the Balonne Shire.
Note: Census employment figures are known to undercount employment by varying amounts depending on the Census year. All Census counts are an undercount of total population, and in addition, some people don’t state their workforce status or industry. Also counts by place of work exclude those with no fixed workplace address. For this reason, it is recommended that for total job numbers, users look at the Employment by industry (Total) modelled estimates which are updated on an annual basis, and based on the ABS Labour Force survey, less prone to undercount. The Census counts by industry are included here for a greater level of industry detail (3-digit ANZSIC).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Employment (Census) by industry sector|
|Industry||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||724||34.4||2.8||876||37.9||2.7||-152|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||22||1.0||1.1||25||1.1||1.2||-3|
|Accommodation and Food Services||86||4.1||7.4||99||4.3||7.0||-13|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||60||2.9||5.1||89||3.8||5.2||-29|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||4||0.2||1.2||7||0.3||1.2||-3|
|Financial and Insurance Services||20||1.0||2.5||22||1.0||2.7||-2|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||6||0.3||2.0||14||0.6||1.8||-8|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||37||1.8||6.2||43||1.9||6.5||-6|
|Administrative and Support Services||30||1.4||3.5||27||1.2||3.2||+3|
|Public Administration and Safety||118||5.6||6.5||128||5.5||6.7||-10|
|Education and Training||180||8.6||9.0||177||7.7||7.9||+3|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||255||12.1||13.0||209||9.0||11.9||+46|
|Arts and Recreation Services||0||0||1.6||8||0.3||1.4||-8|
|Industry not classified||87||4.1||4.3||87||3.8||2.4||--|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the local workers in the Balonne Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (724 people or 34.4%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (255 people or 12.1%)
- Retail Trade (190 people or 9.0%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 1,169 people in total or 55.6% of the local workers.
In comparison, Queensland employed 2.8% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; 13.0% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 9.9% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by local workers of the Balonne Shire and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed in the field of Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (34.4% compared to 2.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed in the field of Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (1.8% compared to 6.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed in the field of Manufacturing (1.6% compared to 6.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed in the field of Construction (4.9% compared to 8.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by local workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Balonne Shire were for those employed in:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (-152 local workers)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+46 local workers)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (-29 local workers)
- Accommodation and Food Services (-13 local workers)