There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in the Balonne Shire than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the Balonne Shire's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the Balonne Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the Balonne Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Balonne Shire - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||13||0.6||1.7||13||0.6||1.5||--|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||209||9.7||11.6||183||8.0||11.6||+26|
|Architecture and Building||46||2.1||4.8||39||1.7||4.6||+7|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||172||8.0||1.5||182||7.9||1.4||-10|
|Management and Commerce||145||6.7||13.5||141||6.1||11.7||+4|
|Society and Culture||111||5.2||7.9||79||3.4||6.6||+32|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||69||3.2||4.0||60||2.6||3.7||+9|
|Mixed Field Programmes||3||0.1||0.1||0||0||0.1||+3|
|Not stated or inadequately described||64||3.0||2.6||99||4.3||3.3||-35|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the Balonne Shire shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (209 people or 9.7%)
- Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (172 people or 8.0%)
- Health (155 people or 7.2%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 536 people in total or 24.9% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Queensland employed 11.6% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 1.5% in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies and 7.7% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of the Balonne Shire and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (6.7% compared to 13.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (8.0% compared to 1.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Society and Culture (5.2% compared to 7.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Architecture and Building (2.1% compared to 4.8%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the Balonne Shire decreased by 144 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in the Balonne Shire was for those qualified in:
- Not stated or inadequately described (-35 resident workers)
- Health (+32 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+32 resident workers)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (+26 resident workers)