Resident workers - Field of qualification
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the Paroo Shire's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the Paroo Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the Paroo Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Paroo Shire - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||0||0||1.7||3||0.4||1.5||-3|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||66||9.2||11.6||59||7.0||11.6||+7|
|Architecture and Building||21||2.9||4.8||28||3.3||4.6||-7|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||53||7.4||1.5||56||6.6||1.4||-3|
|Management and Commerce||54||7.5||13.5||39||4.6||11.7||+15|
|Society and Culture||48||6.7||7.9||46||5.5||6.6||+2|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||21||2.9||4.0||30||3.6||3.7||-9|
|Mixed Field Programmes||0||0||0.1||0||0||0.1||--|
|Not stated or inadequately described||23||3.2||2.6||37||4.4||3.3||-14|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the Paroo Shire shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (66 people or 9.2%)
- Management and Commerce (54 people or 7.5%)
- Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (53 people or 7.4%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 173 people in total or 24.1% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Queensland employed 11.6% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 13.5% in Management and Commerce and 1.5% in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of the Paroo Shire and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (7.5% compared to 13.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (7.4% compared to 1.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (9.2% compared to 11.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Health (5.7% compared to 7.7%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the Paroo Shire decreased by 126 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in the Paroo Shire was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+15 resident workers)
- Not stated or inadequately described (-14 resident workers)
- Education (-9 resident workers)
- Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (-9 resident workers)