RDA Darling Downs and South West Region
Resident workers - Field of qualification
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|RDA Darling Downs and South West Region - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||1,244||1.1||1.7||1,102||1.0||1.5||+142|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||13,771||11.8||11.6||12,353||10.7||11.6||+1,418|
|Architecture and Building||4,798||4.1||4.8||4,366||3.8||4.6||+432|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||4,096||3.5||1.5||3,804||3.3||1.4||+292|
|Management and Commerce||12,452||10.7||13.5||10,253||8.9||11.7||+2,199|
|Society and Culture||7,549||6.5||7.9||6,004||5.2||6.6||+1,545|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||4,488||3.9||4.0||3,873||3.3||3.7||+615|
|Mixed Field Programmes||131||0.1||0.1||66||0.1||0.1||+65|
|Not stated or inadequately described||3,256||2.8||2.6||3,881||3.4||3.3||-625|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (13,771 people or 11.8%)
- Management and Commerce (12,452 people or 10.7%)
- Health (8,768 people or 7.5%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 34,991 people in total or 30.0% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Queensland employed 11.6% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 13.5% in Management and Commerce and 7.7% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (10.7% compared to 13.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (3.5% compared to 1.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Society and Culture (6.5% compared to 7.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Creative Arts (1.2% compared to 2.2%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region increased by 795 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+2,199 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+1,545 resident workers)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (+1,418 resident workers)
- Health (+1,289 resident workers)