RDA Darling Downs and South West Region
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more male resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region's male resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|RDA Darling Downs and South West Region - Males||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||630||1.0||1.6||589||0.9||1.6||+41||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||13,177||21.4||21.1||11,879||19.1||20.9||+1,298||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||4,603||7.5||8.6||4,227||6.8||8.1||+376||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||3,049||5.0||2.1||2,960||4.8||2.0||+89||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||4,507||7.3||10.4||3,781||6.1||8.7||+726||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||2,108||3.4||4.9||1,634||2.6||4.0||+474||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||1,718||2.8||3.0||1,574||2.5||2.9||+144||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||84||0.1||0.1||33||0.1||0.1||+51||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||1,970||3.2||3.0||2,341||3.8||3.7||-371||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region shows that the three largest fields the male resident workers were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (13,177 people or 21.4%)
- Architecture and Building (4,603 people or 7.5%)
- Management and Commerce (4,507 people or 7.3%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 22,287 people in total or 36.2% of the male resident workers .
In comparison, Queensland employed 21.1% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 8.6% in Architecture and Building; and 10.4% in Management and Commerce.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the male resident workers of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of male resident workers qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (5.0% compared to 2.1%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce (7.3% compared to 10.4%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers qualified in Information Technology (1.3% compared to 2.8%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers qualified in Society and Culture (3.4% compared to 4.9%)
The number of male resident workers in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region decreased by 780 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the male resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region were for those qualified in:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (+1,298 males)
- Management and Commerce (+726 males)
- Society and Culture (+474 males)
- Architecture and Building (+376 males)