Southern Downs Regional Council area
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in Southern Downs Regional Council area than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Southern Downs Regional Council area's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Southern Downs Regional Council area or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Southern Downs Regional Council area, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Southern Downs Regional Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Information Media and Telecommunications%||Number||%||Information Media and Telecommunications%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||136||1.0||0.0||127||0.9||0.0||+9||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||1,408||10.0||17.9||1,331||9.3||12.3||+77||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||571||4.1||0.0||509||3.6||0.0||+62||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||439||3.1||0.0||397||2.8||0.0||+42||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||1,325||9.4||18.9||1,124||7.8||7.9||+201||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||848||6.0||3.2||704||4.9||3.5||+144||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||597||4.2||3.2||522||3.6||4.4||+75||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||15||0.1||0.0||5||0.0||0.0||+10||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||463||3.3||0.0||519||3.6||3.5||-56||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Southern Downs Regional Council area shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (1,408 people or 10.0%)
- Management and Commerce (1,325 people or 9.4%)
- Education (917 people or 6.5%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 3,650 people in total or 25.9% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Information Media and Telecommunications employed 17.9% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 18.9% in Management and Commerce; and 3.2% in Education.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of Southern Downs Regional Council area and Information Media and Telecommunications were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Health (6.4% compared to 0.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce (9.4% compared to 18.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Creative Arts (0.9% compared to 9.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (10.0% compared to 17.9%)
The number of resident workers in Southern Downs Regional Council area decreased by 247 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Southern Downs Regional Council area were for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+201 people)
- Society and Culture (+144 people)
- Health (+127 people)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (+77 people)