RDA Darling Downs and South West Region
Resident workers - Hours worked
45.6% of the resident workers in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region work 40 or more hours, compared to 66.4% in Construction.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|RDA Darling Downs and South West Region||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Construction%||Number||%||Construction%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||12,704||10.9||5.6||11,843||10.2||4.9||+861||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||10,047||8.6||4.6||9,538||8.2||4.3||+509||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||13,401||11.5||6.4||12,314||10.6||5.9||+1,087||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||20,761||17.8||12.8||19,566||16.9||11.9||+1,195||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||10,922||9.4||14.4||11,367||9.8||14.2||-445||22007|
|49 hours or more||24,650||21.2||32.2||26,551||23.0||34.4||-1,901||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region's resident workers in 2016 compared to Construction shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 34.7% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 63.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 19.6% and 79.2% respectively for Construction.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region and Construction were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.9% compared to 5.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (11.5% compared to 6.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (21.2% compared to 32.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (9.4% compared to 14.4%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region decreased by 767 people (1.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-1,901 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,195 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,087 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+861 people)