RDA Darling Downs and South West Region
Resident workers - Hours worked
45.6% of the resident workers in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region work 40 or more hours, compared to 58.8% in Wholesale Trade.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|RDA Darling Downs and South West Region||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Wholesale Trade%||Number||%||Wholesale Trade%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||12,704||10.9||6.3||11,843||10.2||6.2||+861||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||10,047||8.6||4.6||9,538||8.2||5.2||+509||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||13,401||11.5||6.5||12,314||10.6||7.1||+1,087||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||20,761||17.8||20.6||19,566||16.9||16.6||+1,195||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||10,922||9.4||14.7||11,367||9.8||15.5||-445||22007|
|49 hours or more||24,650||21.2||22.0||26,551||23.0||24.6||-1,901||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region's resident workers in 2016 compared to Wholesale Trade shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 34.7% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 63.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 19.6% and 79.4% respectively for Wholesale Trade.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region and Wholesale Trade were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (11.5% compared to 6.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.9% compared to 6.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.1% compared to 22.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (9.4% compared to 14.7%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region decreased by 767 people (1.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-1,901 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,195 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,087 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+861 people)