RDA Darling Downs and South West Region
Resident workers - Hours worked
60.2% of the male resident workers in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region work 40 or more hours, compared to 66.7% in Wholesale Trade.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|RDA Darling Downs and South West Region - Males||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Wholesale Trade%||Number||%||Wholesale Trade%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||4,113||6.7||4.1||3,536||5.7||4.3||+577||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||2,719||4.4||2.2||2,313||3.7||3.2||+406||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||3,965||6.5||4.0||3,460||5.6||3.9||+505||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||10,548||17.2||20.1||10,029||16.1||15.2||+519||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||7,387||12.0||17.0||7,766||12.5||17.9||-379||22007|
|49 hours or more||18,697||30.4||27.4||20,618||33.1||29.9||-1,921||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region's male resident workers in 2016 compared to Wholesale Trade shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 20.5% of the male resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 77.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 12.0% and 86.9% respectively for Wholesale Trade.
The major differences between the hours worked by the male resident workers of the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region and Wholesale Trade were:
- A larger percentage of male resident workers worked 49 hours or more (30.4% compared to 27.4%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (12.0% compared to 17.0%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers worked 40 hours (17.8% compared to 22.3%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (17.2% compared to 20.1%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the male resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region decreased by 1,563 people (3.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the male resident workers in the RDA Darling Downs and South West Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-1,921 males)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+577 males)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+519 males)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+505 males)