Toowoomba Regional Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
43.2% of the resident workers in Toowoomba Regional Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 58.5% in Wholesale Trade.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Toowoomba Regional Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Toowoomba Regional Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Toowoomba Regional Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Wholesale Trade%||Number||%||Wholesale Trade%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||7,858||11.0||5.0||7,308||10.6||5.7||+550||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||6,423||9.0||4.0||5,995||8.7||5.2||+428||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||8,485||11.9||7.2||7,543||11.0||6.4||+942||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||13,947||19.6||22.2||13,125||19.1||18.3||+822||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,937||9.7||15.0||7,194||10.5||16.9||-257||22007|
|49 hours or more||12,965||18.2||20.9||13,257||19.3||23.0||-292||22008|
Analysis of the hours worked by Toowoomba Regional Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to Wholesale Trade shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.6% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 62.8% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 18.3% and 80.7% respectively for Wholesale Trade.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Toowoomba Regional Council area and Wholesale Trade were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (11.0% compared to 5.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (9.0% compared to 4.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.2% compared to 22.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (9.7% compared to 15.0%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Toowoomba Regional Council area increased by 912 people (2.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Toowoomba Regional Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+942 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+822 people)
- 40 hours (+639 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+550 people)