Western Downs Regional Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
52.2% of the resident workers in Western Downs Regional Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 58.6% in Wholesale Trade.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Western Downs Regional Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Western Downs Regional Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Western Downs Regional Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Wholesale Trade%||Number||%||Wholesale Trade%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,560||10.8||8.8||1,338||9.2||7.4||+222||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||1,088||7.5||7.6||1,041||7.2||3.8||+47||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,456||10.1||3.2||1,396||9.6||8.6||+60||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,951||13.5||15.9||1,731||11.9||10.2||+220||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||1,435||9.9||13.5||1,390||9.6||15.4||+45||22007|
|49 hours or more||4,089||28.3||23.8||4,668||32.1||27.6||-579||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Western Downs Regional Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to Wholesale Trade shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 32.2% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 65.7% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 24.3% and 74.5% respectively for Wholesale Trade.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Western Downs Regional Council area and Wholesale Trade were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (10.1% compared to 3.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (28.3% compared to 23.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (13.9% compared to 21.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (9.9% compared to 13.5%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Western Downs Regional Council area decreased by 356 people (3.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Western Downs Regional Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-579 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+222 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+220 people)
- Not stated (-83 people)