South West RED Region
Resident workers - Hours worked
54.1% of the resident workers in South West RED Region work 40 or more hours, compared to 43.2% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for South West RED Region's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in South West RED Region depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|South West RED Region||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,019||8.5||11.0||975||7.5||10.4||+44||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||786||6.6||9.4||768||5.9||8.8||+18||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,126||9.4||12.0||1,083||8.4||10.8||+43||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,846||15.4||19.2||1,710||13.2||18.1||+136||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||971||8.1||9.4||1,069||8.3||10.5||-98||22007|
|49 hours or more||3,583||29.9||16.6||4,315||33.4||18.4||-732||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by South West RED Region's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 28.1% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 69.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.8% and 62.4% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of South West RED Region and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (29.9% compared to 16.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (15.4% compared to 19.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (6.6% compared to 9.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (9.4% compared to 12.0%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in South West RED Region decreased by 861 people (9.4%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in South West RED Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-732 people)
- 40 hours (-167 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+136 people)
- Not stated (-122 people)