54.1% of the resident workers (All industries) in the South West RED Region work 40 or more hours, compared to 43.2% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for South West RED Region's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in South West RED Region depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|RDA Darling Downs and South West Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,019||8.5||11.0||975||7.5||10.4||+44|
|16 hours - 24 hours||786||6.6||9.4||768||5.9||8.8||+18|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,126||9.4||12.0||1,083||8.4||10.8||+43|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,846||15.4||19.2||1,710||13.2||18.1||+136|
|41 hours - 48 hours||971||8.1||9.4||1,069||8.3||10.5||-98|
|49 hours or more||3,583||29.9||16.6||4,315||33.4||18.4||-732|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the South West RED Region's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 28.1% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 69.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.8% and 62.4% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the South West RED Region and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (6.6% compared to 9.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (9.4% compared to 12.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (15.4% compared to 19.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (29.9% compared to 16.6%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the South West RED Region decreased by 861 people (-9.4%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the South West RED Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-732 persons)
- 40 hours (-167 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+136 persons)
- Not stated (-122 persons)